Monday, August 2, 2010

Compassion

Compassion is one of my favorite topics, along with adoption; they go hand in hand really. The sermon series at church has been about Portraits of Compassion. We are taking a deeper look at what compassion really is and how it is or should be lived out in our everyday lives. Though I frequently use the word compassion in conversation I don't know if I have ever taken a look at the dictionary definition "a feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another, including the desire to alleviate it"
The key point that defines compassion is a desire (hopefully action) to do something in response to the needs of others. I am glad to be reminded of what it really means and to be continually evaluating my life and actions. What can I do for others?
Compassion International is one of my favorite non-profits. I love the what they stand for and the work they do. We sponsor some kids through them and love to get letters, pictures, and updates from them. The first child that we started sponsoring is an Ethiopian boy. We chose him while we were engaged because his birthday is our wedding day. His name is Shemsedin and we will get to meet him when we travel to bring home our little one. He is the cutie on the left.


We keep this on the buffet in the dining room so that we see them while we eat and pray for them at dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment