Friday, March 25, 2011

Tears and Toys

It seems that life is always filled with a roller coaster of emotions... and tears. Adoption just seems to make the roller coaster seem so much more intense. Through all the ups and downs I can raise my hands up above my head and scream praise to the Lord... without His Providence I'd be burying my face in my hands and begging to get off this crazy ride.
When talking with a friend today (another adoptive mama) she said, "Adoption is much like a marathon, and not a sprint." As much as I knew that already, I needed to hear it again. We can't race to the finish line, honestly because there is not a defined finish. As much as I'd like to hurry to Ethiopia, scoop Jude up in my arms, and love on him. I wait, take each day in stride and know that this journey is a marathon... or an ultra marathon. Hurry up and wait is how it seems to go. Growing our family is a journey and we will be on this adventure for years, there is no need to race through it... after all, I always was into distance rather than sprints.
Today I had tears of joy when I looked at the pictures from this family's blog. I've enjoyed following their journey to their daughter and treasured their advice and wisdom on toddler/preschool adoption.
Toys! I had a very brief trip to my Kansas hometown over the weekend (less than 24 hours) but had a blessed time while I was there. I came home with all of my toys from childhood. My parents had been keeping them in the attic. I also had the privilege of having a hometown friend spend the week with me. We actually opened all of the boxes dressed some of my dolls and reminisced about childhood. Sometimes I can't believe I'm a grown up... about to have kids of my own. I don't know how much Jude will enjoy my dolls, but I sure hope he'll enjoy all of my books. I can't wait to sit and read with him.




4 comments:

  1. Love all the toys :-) Just a reminder that a child is coming!

    Much love,
    Future Mama
    http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. (the toys that is) as for the achey places in your heart. . . I know YOU know Him there. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week! Can't wait to see you again (and I hope it's sooner than usual)!

    As always, Jude is in my prayers!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete